[luau] New school LTSP project

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Thu Jul 18 02:12:00 PDT 2002

MessageWe can give you machines usable as thin clients, but you would need
to buy several things yourself.

1. Server - roughly $800
Minimal requirements - Single Athlon with 512MB ECC RAM in order to handle 5
LTSP stations.  Make sure the motherboard has large upgradability with RAM
so you can easily accomodate additional thin clients in the future.  Let me
know and I will price you out a recommended system.  I would like to build
and configure your server.
2. Bootable Network Cards
Something like 3Com 3c905-txm or any other card with onboard PXE.  Also
Linksys LNE100TX with etherboot bootrom chip works.  I heard there's similar
cards from SMC and DLink that are also tftp bootable.  We are getting a pack
of 50 3c905-txm cards for St. John and Mid-Pac.  I may be able to sell you a
few of those cards.
3. Switches, cat5 cabling, etc.
4. I will require all schools receiving my help to subscribe to RHN services
for their servers.  This is $60/year ($5 per month).  Trust me, $5 a month
is worth your time.  They e-mail you when new package updates are available.
RHN service makes updating and installing new packages very quick and easy.

Additionally please have your school fill out this form in order to receive
the unlimited free academic license for StarOffice 6.0 for both Windows and
Linux.
http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/edu/promotions/scholar/starofficelic
ense.html

p.s. Please do not post HTML e-mail.