[luau] Sharp Zaurus sl5000d

Jeff Mings jeffm at lava.net
Tue Jul 16 22:17:00 PDT 2002

This could be a very cool thing, depending on what you need and want in
a PDA.  I have been coveting the new Zaurus with the pop-down keyboard,
beautiful big screen, and real, built-in Linux.  The potential to easily
move stuff between my Linux boxen and PDA is very appealing, and not
really possible with my 5th and current PDA, a Compaq Ipaq.  The Ipaq
was purchased by my former boss for me so that I could
setup/manage/tailor his Ipaq.  This may sound silly, but setting up the
various connectoids, email profiles and various other settings on a
miniature version of Windoze is much more complex and needlessly
complicated than the same actions on a PalmOS device.  Needless to say,
I don't like WinCE, and have wanted to buy a Zaurus, but the price of a
new unit is too high, so I decided to buy a snap-on keyboard that is
functionally similar to the Zaurus' and to load one of the Ipaq Linux
distros.  I will lose the very useful pocket street maps, but I'll gain
much more.  I think the retail price is usually $500 for the Zaurus.  It
sounds like a great deal to me for a mini linux-box-in-your-pocket.  If
you're just looking for an electronic organizer, though, go buy a
handspring.

-Jeff