[luau] Shell Script Help

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Fri Jul 12 14:04:00 PDT 2002

  Mike Ballon wrote:

>To those that don't know me Aloha,

Nice to meet you.

>to those that do how come nobody told me about the new list :P

Well, if you were a member of the old list, it was posted there.

>The scipt below works fine a Linux box but I need it work on my Solairs 2.7
>box.  Basically I just need a scipt that writes yesterday's date in the
>format of yymmdd, thanks.
>
>#!/bin/sh
># used to test date
>
>TODAY=`date +%y%m%d`
>echo $TODAY
>echo "---"
>#Get day ago
>YESTERDAY=$(date --date "1 day ago" +%y%m%d)
>echo $YESTERDAY

There are two things I see.  $(...) is a bash construct I believe and
not part of
any traditional bourne shell implementations (it's not POSIX or otherwised
standardized I don't think), so you should use backticks like you did
for TODAY=...
on the line that starts YESTERDAY=...   The other thing I see is --date
is a GNU
style option.  Solaris uses BSD-based tools, by default, so --date won't
work.  I just
checked the man page on uhunix2 and there doesn't appear to be any
comparable
option, so you should either install GNU's sh-utils, or write a small C
program to do
what you want.  If you decide to go with writing the C program and you
need help,
just ask.

Another option would be perl (if you have it installed)...

--Ray Strode