[luau] Red Hat vs. Mandrake vs. SuSE

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Thu Jul 11 11:12:00 PDT 2002

Very good point.

Of course, with RH, MDK, SuSE, they either come with their source code
you can always download it.  Then you can re-compile it.

The main problem with any of those non-mainstream distros is that, my
desktop critically depends on Win4Lin 4.0 to run certain Windows
applications.  And if Netraves does not provide the patch for the kernel
that I am using, then I am out of luck.  Thus, to me, this is my No.
priority in choosing a distro.

We are having those problems because the 2.4 kernel is still in the
evolving stage.  They should all clear up in a few months.  (That's a
main reason why many developers are still using the 2.2 kernel.  AC is
backporting many of the features in 2.4 into 2.2.)  And that's why it is
so important, at least for the present, to choose the optimum distro,
and stick with it.

And that's the reason I am asking the above-titled question.  :-)