[luau] Review - Excellent Value Laptop for Linux

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Jul 9 01:21:01 PDT 2002

http://videl.ics.hawaii.edu/~warren/presario/presario.php

Hey folks,

At that URL is my review of the Compaq Presario 722US laptop computer that
will soon be posted to AMDMB.com.  In my testing I have found this to be an
excellent priced laptop with tons of features that work nearly perfectly in
Linux after some tweaking.  Here are some of its better features:

* 1.1GHz AMD Duron processor with SSE instructions
* 256MB PC100 SDRAM
* 14.1" TFT screen
* 56k Linux compatible win-modem and 10/100 ethernet
* 20GB hard drive
* Removable DVD and 4x4x16 CD/RW optical combo drive
* 1.44MB Floppy drive
* Excellent integrated laptop speakers
All for only $1,259 after mail-in rebate at the local Office Depot.

(No I don't own Office Depot or HP/Compaq stock, though I do own AMD stock.
Bad Wall Street... Ouch!)

Kimberly (member of this list) bought this laptop and let me compare it to
my personal Sony Vaio FXA series Athlon laptop.  I am blown away by how much
better it is than my considerably more expensive laptop. =(

The both local CompUSA's have a slightly slower 1GHz Duron with DVD-only
optical drive (all else the same) for only $999.  Either of these are
awesome value Linux laptops.  Office Depot also has the 725US model with the
fastest Mobile Athlon XP processor in stock, all other parts identical to
the 722US at $1,559.

If anyone buys one, let me know and I'll help you configure it.  It may take
kernel patching experimentation to get ACPI working for better battery life,
but I will help you to do this.

Anyway, please read my review and let me know what you think!

Thanks,
Warren Togami
warren at togami.com