[luau] Lindows

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jul 8 23:12:00 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: <charon at netzero.net>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Monday, July 08, 2002 10:24 PM
Subject: [luau] Lindows

> Perhaps someone could clear this up, i couldn't find any info on this.
> Is Lindows an open source product or not? If it's based on Linux shouldn't
it be enforced by the GPL to share its source? I couldn't
> find it available for download anywhere, neither could I find any articles
talking about the issue. Does anyone know anything about
> this?

Lindows is Xandros, another Linux distribution based on Debian.  Most of it
is under Open Source licenses and they do contribute code back to the main
projects if they include it within their own distribution.

IMHO, Lindows is a waste of time for most people.  You must be a $100 paid
customer in order to download GPL software from their "Click-N-Run" service
where you get things like OpenOffice and KOffice components.  The
distribution also has zero security... bringing it to about the level of
.... Win98.  I used to think it had a niche in the market with things like
Microtel systems at Walmart, but after reading the Newsforge review I think
Mandrake much better serves that job.