[luau] Firewalls

Lance Chong xca0025 at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 7 10:44:01 PDT 2002

Windows 2K Pro/Server both have the Packet Filtering built-in.  Go to
network interface property --> Advanced --> Options -> Select TCP/IP
Filtering --> Enable it and configure the allowable ports.

WinXP's firewall's firewall has a nice check and uncheck(by service)
firewall feature for services that you'd like to host.  It's quick and
dirty.  Bottom line is that it works.  For unmentioned services, you have to
(again) get the port number and punch them in.

For Win32 firewalls, I love Tiny Personal Firewall (freeware).  It'll either
run as a service or as a program and is far more stable and easier than any
program I've ever tried (i.e. BlackIce, ZoneAlarm).  I hated ZoneAlarm so
much because it was very unstable on some machines.   It added a virtual
interface called 'Vector' something that seemed to cause the unstability in
some cases.

From: MonMotha <monmotha at indy.rr.com>

I thought they were the same, but I've never used pro.  I've only used home
on some people's comps in a (rather futile) attempt to get it to do DHCP
right (it seems to ignore my DHCP server for some reason, 2k, 9x, etc all
work fine).

I personally refuse to run XP as I don't like the idea of having to beg ol'
billy boy to use my comp again if I swap out too much gear (and believe me,
I swap hardware...)

--MonMotha

W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
><WinXP has one, but it's far from configurable.  I don't think Win2k has
>one at all.  Under Win2k, you will probably need to buy something like
>ZoneAlarm (which I've heard is decent) or BlackICE (which is a joke).>
>
>--MonMotha
>
>Can you comment on the fire walls of WinXP Pro vis-a-vis WinXP Home?

Lance Chong