[luau] Underclocking / Aluminum cases

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 4 05:07:01 PDT 2002

An interesting idea.  You could have a computer sealed in an oil bath
case and then large fins on the outside of the case.  The whole deal
would look like a small version of the big commercial electrical
transformers placed on the ground outside of larger buildings.  This
would be the sort of thing Steve Jobs would love as the computer would
most likely be completely unserviceable and would probably have to be
replaced in it's entirety rather than  being repaired.  If there is some
way to make it in translucent plastic, I'm sure he would try to market
it, especially if the connecting ports for accessories were different
than the previous system.

Eric Hattemer wrote:

>There are a few crazy people who submerge their entire motherboard and processor
>in a soup of a non-conductive oil solution.  But I would be incredibly
>scared to do that, and I don't even know how well it works.  But if the
>whole thing were in oil, you wouldn't need to worry about condensation, etc,
>so you could cool it in an icebox or something.

Keep in mind that an icebox actually  generates quite a bit of heat and
has noise producing motors and fans.