[luau] Lilo to get root shell

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Tue Jul 2 11:17:01 PDT 2002

lilo has the restricted flag that I usually use to allow normal booting
without a password, but requires a password if any parameters are used.
  Many new BIOSes can have two separate passwords (supervisor and user)
and only allow a floppy boot on supervisor (of course you can clear the
CMOS, but that requires removing the case).

It is possible to make a casual attack difficult if not impossible; all
of the methods discussed here require a reboot, which on a critical
machine will not go unnoticed, if anything just seeing the uptime reset
might spark curiosity and the admin might find the rootkit, or whatever.

--MonMotha