[luau] Underclocking / Cooling

Joe Linux joelinux at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 2 05:48:01 PDT 2002

You could use two PC cases.  One for the mother board and associated
cards, and the other for the drives.  That would be a cheap almost ready
to go solution.  You could run both cases without the covers to further
dissipate the heat statically.

A water cooled system would most likely require a pump which would be
more noisy than a fan moving air.  You could possibly have a pond
outside your house with a fountain pump that would circulate water
through a small copper tube forced in between the fins of a an aluminum
heat sink that would be rather silent.  If the tube was continuous or
well soldered, the possibility of a leak would be minimal.  You already
have lots of water pipes in your home under more pressure.  While a
system such as this could work, it would most likely be cumbersome and
make the PC difficult to service.  Not to mention the fact that the cost
of the pond and pump and everything else associated with it might be
more than the PC itself.