I Love Microsoft and other OS vendors!

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Fri Jan 25 21:23:19 PST 2002

On Fri, 2002-01-25 at 17:48, andersons001 at hawaii.rr.com wrote:

> Oh yeah, what about that $20 charge per month for a RedHat Network subscription?
> Is that service really worth $240 per year for the Home User?
>
> Steve Anderson

1) With Red Hat, their expensive automated support option is OPTIONAL.
You can install the freely available package upgrades yourself if you
wish.

2) For a home user, you get one free RHN subscription with your boxed RH
set that seems to last forever.  Good enough for one computer.

3) I think RHN is meant for those who maintain many workstations and
servers.  With only 5 machines your RHN cost goes below $10 per machine,
and it can go even lower.  I'm sure Cisco isn't paying anywhere near $10
per machine for their thousands of Red Hat workstations and servers that
they use.

4) I run several Red Hat servers now, and I sure like it that Red Hat
e-mails me and tells me which of my servers are vulnerable to which
possible security holes.  I try to keep up with BUGTRAQ and other
security news, but I can't possibly keep track of everything.  Some of
these servers over 1,000 users will be depending on soon, and I feel
that this is a small price to pay to minimize risk and save myself time.