I Love Microsoft!

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Fri Jan 25 20:09:15 PST 2002

On 25 Jan 2002, Warren Togami wrote:
>(The instructor seems good, the requirement of Microsoft server products
>is horrible.)
>
>Then I find out that the $200 Windows XP Pro upgrade CAN'T upgrade XP
>Home.  I NEED to buy the $300 Windows XP Pro full install.
>
>Can you say abusing consumers?  Economy is down, thousands of people
>getting laid off around the country, and Microsoft NEARLY DOUBLES the
>price of Windows and Office.

Being paranoid as I am, one could easily see how Microsoft could bribe
professors into forcing students to buy Microsoft products.  I am sure if
this happened, it must break some kind of law.  If it doesn't, then there
is something wrong with the higher education system.

UH is known for taking 'donated' hardware, which forces the students to
learn a specific vendor's products.  But that is a far cry from forcing
students to buy such products with out of pocket money.

What is this course about?  I would bring this issue up in class.  Is the
bookstore willing to buy the product back?  At least with books, you can
get some of your money back after the course.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org