Mounting options

Yuser yuser at hi.net
Sun Jan 20 16:46:27 PST 2002

I need some help or suggestions for mounting.  I have a Samba server that
supports several users with various Windows clients.  Roaming profiles,
logon scripts, printers blah blah and it all works fine.  I now have two
Linux machines clients that are on the network.  What is the easiest way
to allow the Linux clients to access the Samba server in a way similar to
the Win clients.  Things that I have tried so far with varying degrees of
succsess.

Exporting the /home directory from the Samba machine and mounting with the
Linux clients via NFS.  This seems to work for accessing the files but I
could not get the users permission to remove files from their home
directories on the server.  I had various luck with getting the
permissions on the client to equal those on the server, sometimes more
then desired, sometimes less.

Exporting and mounting specific shares via NFS worked fine, just not the
home directories (different users with different permissions from the
server).  Example.  I have a Samba share called y-share with a root of
 /samba3/share.  Exporting this via NFS and mounting works fine.

I tried about the same things with smbmount instead of NFS.  This seems
liek a more logical way to approach this but probably not as fast as NFS
would be.  Only problem with smbmount is mounting the shares as a user and
not root.  Is there an easy way to do this?  I figured I could have the
mounting occur automatically on logging in.

I guess what I want to achieve is definately too specific for a general
answer.  Maybe I am too weak with using mount and Linux clients in a
mostly Windows client network.  Any pointers would be helpful!