Apache problem

R Scott Belford sctinc at mac.com
Mon Jan 14 02:41:01 PST 2002

Here's the thing.  When you are at home, your computer already knows
that you have named it home.happy.  It stores this information in a
little file in /etc called hosts.  You type home.happy in your browser
window, and your os knows that name is the local apache page.  If you
had other machines in your network that you wanted to access by name
rather than the ip address, you could put them this file.  (You probably
understand that an ip address is kind of like a phone number for the
inernet world.)  Then when you typed their name (I have one named debby
who runs debian), your browser knows to read your /etc/hosts file to see
what ip address to "call" debby at.  This works on your local network
because you are at home using private ip addresses.

The internet is too big for everyone to have all the computers listed in
their own personal /etc/hosts file.   Not everyone has an /etc/hosts
file.  It is too hard to remember the ip address for yahoo.  As a
result, if you own a "public" domain, meaning you can reach it from
anywhere, you must have its name hosted on what is called a Domain Name
Server.  These are the computers around the world that people like your
isp maintain.  You could, too.  When you type the name of the site you
want, your os is set to check a DNS to see where in the heck to find
this site (by ip address.)

So, why can't you type home.happy at work and get your machine?  As has
been pointed out, home.happy is not a public address, primarily.  Your
browser checks a DNS for it, and your DNS says "hey, never heard of
it."  You can reach it by ip address, though.  Your isp owns a big block
of public IP addresses to dynamically or randomly assign its customers.
If you have a cable modem, it is dynamically assigned.   If you have
dsl, it may be statically assigned.  If you dialup, it is dynamically
assigned.  Run ipconfig to see what your's is.  Type http://[your ip
address] and you'll get your machine (if it wasn't reassigned on your
way to work or if port 80 isn't blocked by your isp.)  You can also
register a domain of your choice, name your computer that, have a dns
tell the world what ip address to find you at, and pow, you are
connected to home by way of the domain of your choice.

scott