Major Gaffe at Gordon Biersch

epsas at inflicted.net epsas at inflicted.net
Fri Jan 11 03:06:20 PST 2002

Woops,

Tonight I said that the MAC address is hardwired into the Hermes firmware in Lucent cards - I was wrong:

#Taken from wiconfig(8)
     -m MAC address
                 Set the station address for the specified interface. The MAC
                 address is specified as a series of six hexadecimal values
                 separated by colons, e.g.: 00:60:1d:12:34:56. This programs
                 the new address into the card and updates the interface as
                 well.

#

Yup, it works.   So it looks like changing MAC addresses is easy.  What I need to find out now is whether or not a simple tcpdump log is enough to penetrate a MAC-address secured wireless network.