Netscape food for thought

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Jan 7 23:35:16 PST 2002

You may have to do testing for yourself to know if it is safe to zero out
those files.  Please let me know about your findings, and I'd be very
interested to see your backup script.

Most stuff in /tmp can usually be deleted safely anytime because it is old
cruft, but some stuff like MCOP and DCOP socket files and certain swap files
are in use by KDE, GNOME, some server software, and other software users may
be running.  It is usually safe to completely clear out /tmp during reboots
in your rc init scripts.  Mandrake has a built-in option that does that.
Otherwise if no users are using the server, you can clear out /tmp safely by
stopping server services, clearing /tmp, then reactivating it.