Complete Turn Key Linux Server

Matt Darnell mdarnell at servpac.com
Thu Feb 28 22:21:54 PST 2002

In my opinion it is things like this that will introduce Linux to more of
the mainstream. Just like m$ found out years ago, it is all about the
applications. Apple OS was far superior, but PC's had Lotus-123. I think
that single application has more to do with PC domination over Apples in the
non-graphics business world than anything else.

For people like myself to sell Linux solutions there has to be a strong
business case (read - I need to be able to make money, to pay rent,
technicians, taxes etc.) We all saw what dell, gateway etc did when people
were not buying the desktops with Linux on it. They pulled the
configurations from the mainstream.

That being said, I think we could have a win-win for the business community
and the GPL cause. We need to convince people that you do not need to pay
$4,000 for a robust email/firewall solution.

I think I am preaching to choir, but if anyone has a differing angle or
perception all together please let me know. I would love to discuss the
merits.

We are planning to get together this weekend to toss around ideas, if anyone
else would like to join us please let me know.

Aloha,
Matt