network questions

Rod Gammon gammonr001 at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Feb 12 12:26:21 PST 2002

OK- you should know I'm a networking idiot by now...

Q1: How to enable services blocked by RH install security features?

Long ago I installed RH7.1 and set the security facilities.  (Since upgraded
to RH7.2) Now I can't run up2date, send email, or browse web.  I only want
to do the first two (e.g. update the system and have websites email their
admins) but mention all three in case its important.  Sendmail is running as
a service.  Using xinetd and ipchains and iptables.  When I use the ipchains
config in gnome, no rules listed.  HTTP & SCP work.

Q2: If it's in /etc/xinet.d is it accessible?

Telnet is supposed to be very bad.  So I don't run the daemon I thought.
But check xinet.d and there is telnet in it.  I deleted it, but now I'm
wondering, if it's in xinet.d is it accessible? All I want to reveal (in
long run) is mysql, postgres, http, scp, and cvs, and allow up2date and
sending mail from within server.  But xinet.d has rsh and other 'r' stuff in
there.  Should I just erase 'em?

Thanks.  Someone please ask a java or i18n question so I can give back!

-rg