Devel: Regular Expressions in J2SE 1.4

Rod Gammon AEG-Inc at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Feb 12 01:49:10 PST 2002

Java 1.4 has a number of great (assuming they work) features- helper classes
to manage character set/code pages, generic XML persistence widgets added to
java.io, a logging facility with log levels and all you need to cease
system.err calls for debugging info... it goes on and on.

Promo article:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/releases/j2se1.4/

Official distro sheet:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/relnotes/features.html

A couple Java questions, re linux-

1. PHP and EJB- Anyone here actually get the servlet extension to PHP 4
running?  I haven't tried it yet, but here's the story.  Wrote a J2EE
lexical reference app using JSP for gui.  Requirements on GUI sprialed and
spiraled, until what I needed was a CMS with a dictionary included.  I heard
PHP could now access Java and so have switched to Post Nuke.  But!  It makes
long term sense to plan on moving Java objects to EJBs.  How does this
complicate the PHP?

2.  Is there a compiler for Java apps in Linux?  Something like Borland's
kylix but for Java?  With the new 1.4 swing components it makes sense to
write real gui apps in Java, but speed is a question without a compiler.

thanks!
rg