porting environments

Charles Lockhart lockhart at irtf.ifa.hawaii.edu
Thu Feb 28 11:15:22 PST 2002

I've got this embedded device that the manufacturer, brightstar
engineering (www.brighstareng.com), calls an ipengine.  The whold thing's
about the size of a deck of cards, uses an MPC823 ppc uP, 4MB flash, 16MB
ram, onboard ethernet, usb, serial, etc., plus a fairly decent fpga (which
is why we're using it).  It's running embedded linux with a 2.2 kernel.
What boggles my mind is that the development environment/tools that comes
with this are all for stinkin' Windows!  Gah!  You open up a DOS window,
run their script which throws you in to a bash shell, then start doing
stuff.  And apparently they don't support Linux as a dev env.

So rather than rebooting to windows every time I go to work on this
project, I'm spending a little time trying to get everything running on my
Linux side, but it's a bit difficult as their setup is kind of custom.
Anybody have info on this kind of thing, know of a HOW-TO or some other
kind of reference?

-Charles