[luau] Hyper technology

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Dec 30 01:42:00 PST 2002

Randall Oshita wrote:
> Where can I check in 7.3 to see if its using HT?
> Randall

If your hardware and kernel properly supports hyperthreading, then you
would actually see what appears like multiple processors in "top" and
other system monitors, but it is actually your one Pentium4 or Xeon
processor.

Now that I think about it, Red Hat 7.x after all updates uses the same
kernel as Red Hat 8.0, a heavily patched 2.4.18, so even older 7.x
releases can run hyperthreading now.  Only difference with the 7.x
kernel is that they are compiled with the old gcc 2.96 instead of gcc 3.2.

But anyway, in most cases you wont notice much differences with
hyperthreading enabled.  A few specific optimized cases go faster with
hyperthreading, but there's also a few cases where things actually can
go SLOWER with hyperthreading due to one thread killing the L1 or L2
onchip cache used by the other.

Warren