[luau] dhcp-146-41

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Tue Dec 24 18:27:00 PST 2002

I thought about posting a comment asking if anyone in this forum has
ever used RedHat 8.0 on a machine with RoadRunner without an external
firewall, but decided against it, as doing this would have been too
tasteless, even to someone as gross as I.

I had a dhcp server installed at home a few years ago.  It had been
working continuously for over one year and half until I decided to
change the kernel.  This is a great testimonial to the stability of
Linux.  Although this was based on a beta version of dhcp, I believe the
architecture still stays pretty much the same.

One of the key features of dhcp, as far as I was concerned, is that the
ip address is temporary which will expire upon disconnection or be
renewed after a pre-set period of time (with a new ip), depending on the
server configuration.

I believe many cable modem users will not be thrilled when they realize
that their computers, instead of having a changing ip, are actually
assigned a permanent hostname.  Of course, our local dhcp experts are
telling me that having a permanent hostname don't make no difference,
and are implicitly accusing me of spreading FUD. You make your own call.