[luau] dhcp-146-41

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Mon Dec 23 22:18:01 PST 2002

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
>I don't think you understand the seriousness of this issue.  As I
>mentioned in my very first post, RoadRunner changed the host name of MY
>computer without my permission.

Ok Wayne, I'll submit.  There are two issues here.  First, your friend had
trouble installing and configuring RH 8.0.  If this is still a problem,
you know we're always ready to help.

The second issue you brought up was with the setting of the host name by
the DHCP server.  If Dusty's response is not enough to convince you,
perhaps a pointer to the authority might help.  ;-)

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dhc-host-option-considerations-01.txt

This link will take you to a draft standard that describes what the IETF
thinks about setting host names for DHCP clients.  You only have to read
the introduction.  I hope this is now clear that setting YOUR system's
host name is not only safe but also something that the Internet community
considers useful.

Let this be the end of this thread.  Thanks.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org