[luau] dhcp-146-41

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Mon Dec 23 18:05:00 PST 2002

On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
>I don't like you tone.  Taking something out of context (in this case,
>comment within a comment, even though it is my own comment) is a very
>rude and very childish behavior.

Wayne, I think you need to cool down a bit.  This problem is getting to
you, and it is affecting your interpersonal interactions.

Concerning setting the hostname by the DHCP client/server, this is an
expected behavior.  I haven't read the DHCP RFC in a while, but I do
remember it specifically allowing a hostname field in the 'ACK' message.
Also, setting the hostname should have absolutely no affect on a running
system, if the software is written well.

If RH 8.0 is trying to install samba and apache when the cable modem is
turned on, then that's a RH problem.  As for networking tools not working
with the hostname set, I think this is a problem with the DNS, not the
hostname.  No software should be looking at the hostname to determine its
behavior.

As for the need to set the hostname, that is done for user-friendliness.
No one should be required to remember a 16 digit number to use a network.
And it shouldn't matter what it is set to.  If there is a software that
needs localhost defined, try putting the following line in /etc/hosts.

127.0.0.1       localhost localhost.localdomain

I'm sure its already there in this file.  If you are still having
problems, try calmly explaining what behavior you are experiencing.
Explain it in as much detail as possible.  You'll get more help that way.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org