[luau] KNOPPIX LINUX ON TECHTV

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Wed Dec 18 06:46:00 PST 2002

B/c Knoppix runs on ramdisk and decompresses files from CDROM on the
fly, its speed depends, to a much greater extent, on CPU speed and the
amount of RAM.

I ran it on my 1GHz Athlon with 256 MB ram and 2000+ Athlon XP with 512
MB.  Both ran almost as fast as Red Hat 8.0 on their respective hard
disks (and both systems are very fast).  It actually runs faster on my
HP xh455 (900 MHz Athlon 4 with 256 MB ram.

There are also a number of bootup options.  With a low-resource system
such as PII-200 with 64 MB ram, you can boot into text mode.  Of course,
if you have your own ftp or you don't mind using a floppy disc, you can
save your configuration as well as data files either on-line of in your
floppy, then you will have a GUI-based OS (an entire OS) that can
literally travel with you.  (Now, I hope you will tell this to your
Windows-using friends/bosses/associates.)

Another great advantage of Knoppix is that you can load it into a hard
disk (a very convenient way to install a Debian system), make
modifications, then re-masterize it into a CD.  At the present time,
Knoppix only has a limited number of language options.  Inclusion of
Chinese and Japanese as a bootup option will be a great plus for Hawaii.