[luau] Interested in Becoming a Patent Agent?

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Tue Dec 10 23:10:00 PST 2002

I received a few private e-mails asking the same questions.  Since this
does not involve any secret, I guess it's fair to post my brief reply in
the open forum.

Basically, a patent agent receives an invention disclousure from an
inventor, interviews the inventor, does a "prior art" search, prepares
the patent application (which includes a detailed description of the
invention and a set of "claims") to be filed with the Patent Office,
files the application, then responds to any questions/rejections
received from the Patent Office.  Depending on experience and location,
the pays of patent agents typically range from 50 to 100K.  (For
comparison, a registered nurse in Honolulu makes between 50 and 70K.)

If you are really interested in invention and doing patent work, perhaps
a better route is to try to apply for a job as a patent examiner with
the Patent Office.  Your chance of getting a job with the Patent Office
should be pretty good if you have a computer science background.
 However, the pays are pretty low, expecting between 30 and 40K to
start.  I believe if you work as a patent examiner for four years or
more, you will be waived from the patent exam.

A number of patent examiners go to George Washington Law School, which
is located at the same office compound (Crystal Plaza) at night to get
their law degree.  Patent Office used to pick up the full tuition; there
are some limitations as to the maximum number of credits the the
government will reimburse.  If you are a Hawaii resident, of course, you
automatically become part of our second largest industry--the Hawaii
congressional delegation.  In this regard, you will really miss
Representative Mink.  I don't believe anyone who is going to take over
her place will be as warm as our most beloved Patsy.