[luau] Secure FTP to RedHat 7.3 box?

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Mon Dec 9 18:10:01 PST 2002

Yes I agree...but the point that you're missing is that with FTP,
DreamWeaver does a check-in/out facilty and auto synchronization....the
facility is spiffy enough that many users don't even want to do something as
simple as saving the entire structure to a local disk and then using
scp/sftp to upload it.

This is very much the eighth layer of the ISO model (political layer) in
that many web designers are artsy types and push back very hard on making
uploading any more difficult.

While I really don't see why this is so difficult, it is a big issue and
enough of an issue that I've been asked to expend effort on solving this
problem. So yeah, I see your point, but the perception of what "should be"
is an issue when you the person(s) that wants it control the bucks.
So....the good news is that there is a solution that is a relatively good
middle ground. So asking the users to start an ssh session before doing the
FTP upload so far doesn't seem to be too much to ask of my DreamWeaver
users.

/brian chee

University of Hawaii ICS Dept
Advanced Network Computing Lab