[luau] problems switching from MS to Linux

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Mon Dec 9 13:19:00 PST 2002

I would say for #1 that openOffice has always worked quite well for me for
MS word document type things.  Its far from perfect, and that can be a bit
depressing.  It doesn't handle special charts and pictures and stuff too
well, but for writing word files, its great.  Alternatively, you can try
hooking up your MS office through Crossover Office.

#2.  Ask what program that is.  I've gotten all of my Cadence programs
except OrCad Pspice (the only one I actually need to run) running through
one of the 4 different versions of wine.  Look into wine, transgaming's
winex, crossover plugin, crossover office, and maybe some others.  I think
crossover office worked best for me, but I don't recall.

#3.  Use evolution, install OpenOffice, Mplayer, Xine, and some other
programs, and they should add their hooks properly hopefully.  Xine and
mplayer have codecs for windows media.  You might need to get them from
somehwat illegal places, though.  With mandrake, try plf.zarb.org .

-Eric Hattemer