[luau] problems switching from MS to Linux

Thomas David Burns tburns at hawaii.edu
Mon Dec 9 11:29:00 PST 2002

Here's a message I just got from a friend of mine:

--- quote ---
I have my system set up as a triple boot system: Windows/Linux/QNX.  It
works just fine.  However, I find that I spend most of my time under
Windows because of three reasons:
1.  Classwork is required to be turned in in Microsoft Word format.
2.  The simulation software we use in my class runs only under Windows.
3.  When I try to read my email under Linux, it works, but it is unable
to read almost all of the Mime formats.  I am assuming this is because
there is something Microsoft specific in the messages I receive.  I
have tried all the Linux email readers I could find; all have the same
limitation.
--- end quote ---

1. according to
<http://searchsolaris.techtarget.com/qna/0,289202,sid12_gci831653,00.htm
l>, StarOffice is capable of saving in MS Word format. My impression is
that OpenOffice also interoperates with MS formats, am I right? I
really don't use word processors any more.

2. WINE or VMWare might be options.

3. I have no idea.

Any other ideas, inputs?

Diligent Dave