[luau] Interesting question I found...

Charles Lockhart lockhart at jeans.ifa.hawaii.edu
Thu Dec 5 08:13:00 PST 2002

Well, some cpu's for the embedded market come with features that are
particularly useful.  An example is motorola's (not yet released)
powerquicc3.  It's fairly fast, low power consumption, built in support
for 2 GbE's, built in support for up to 3 10/100 Ether or 155Mbps ATM or
45Mbps HDLc, support for atm/ima, rapid io, pci/pcix, etc.  That means
you don't have to build that functionality yourself.  We've considered
using it for a system we're building.  But, there's just not enough
support for it.  There isn't even a tool chain available for it, well
enough kernel support.

But to totally ignore software as an issue and just go out into la-la
land like this guy did, that's really irresponsible, the guy and his
team really screwed the pooch on that one.  If I was him, I would have
wanted to try and minimize the perception that I was involved with the
project at all, not write some half-brained article proclaiming to the
entire embedded development world that I suck, and run down a technology
that's actually working for a lot of people.

And then the guy's got the nerve to list embedded linux deployment as
one of his "specialties" (http://www.tbcorp.com).  After one (or so it
seems) project, embedded linux deployment is his "specialty."

I don't know, probably being too harsh on the guy, he's just trying to
market himself.  I just think that pumping himself up at the expense of
a fairly useful technology is a bit sleazy.

-Charles