[luau] Interesting question I found...

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Wed Dec 4 10:34:00 PST 2002

Aloha,

I'm not an expert, but I think the short answer is they can't!

In smp systems everything is shared, so there is no way to tell one cpu to
use this memory and the other to use that memory.

Even in the Sun E10K, which is designed to be divided up into multiple
systems (called domains) like these guys want, it has 16 seperate system
boards, each with 4 CPUs and upto 16GB memory.  You can divide the E10K up
into 16 seperate domains, but you can't divide the system boards, i.e. you
can't use two of the CPUs on the board for one domain and the other two for
a different, because they share the memory on that board.  If you have
multiple system boards in one domain, you can hot swap a system board with
the system running, that is pretty cool, changing CPUs and memory while the
system is up and running.

The E10K is an awesome machine designed by Cray to be divided up into
multiple systems and it can't do what this guy wants.

Dusty