[luau] Installing Fonts in Red Hat 8.0

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Wed Dec 4 02:03:01 PST 2002

W. Wayne Liauh wrote:

> While we are at it (i.e., discussion about fonts), I seem to vaguely
> remember that there was a font installation tool in Red Hat 7.3
> (through KDE, I believe).  But now I don't seem to be able to find it
> in 8.0. Does anyone know how to do that in Red Hat 8.0?

I think you should be able to copy the fonts to /usr/share/fonts or to
~/.fonts
Any fontconfig enabled programs will have access to them then.

For programs not using fontconfig yet, you will have to install
freetype-utils,
create a directory somewhere, put your fonts in that directory, run
ttmkfdir > fonts.dir, add the relevant line to your XFree86 config file,
and then restart X (or xset +fp the directory).  I don't know of any
graphical utilities for installing fonts, but I wouldn't be surprised if
there is one.

--Ray