[luau] Sparc 20 upgrade time

Bruce Howard bhoward at lava.net
Wed Dec 4 00:10:00 PST 2002

> Aloha,
>
> It depends on what you do with the box.  I think OpenBSD is the best OS for
> older Sun boxes, but that is just me.  You can always open the case and
> plug in a SCSI cd-rom and do your install with the CD hanging out.  Just
> set it to SCSI ID 6.  OpenBSD recomends downloading their boot floppy and
> using DD to write it to the swap partition and then booting that partition
> and doing a network install.
>
> If you really want Linux then SuSE 7.3 is the most up-to-date distro.  You
> can download ALL five cds from SuSE.  Gentoo would probally be a better
> Linux solution, but might take a few days to compile:)

I'm currently using Aurora SPARC Linux:
	http://auroralinux.org/

with good results on Sparc20 with 4 Ross hypersparc processors.
Aurora is based on Redhat 7.3 and currently runs a 2.4.19 kernel.

I originally installed OpenBSD but switched to the Aurora linux
distribution upon discovering OpenBSD's lack of proper multiprocessor
support for Sparc 20.  I loaded the OS by booting via tftp and
installing the RPMs through NFS (via a cross over network cable
from my vaio linux laptop).

						Cheers,
						Bruce