[luau] Samba help

Alvin Murphy amurphy at pol.net
Wed Dec 4 00:09:00 PST 2002

Not sure I know enough to help; I have wrestled with Samba on my own
home mini lan and finally have things working. I got a lot of help from
 "Using Samba" by Eckstein et al from O'Reilly press.  Almost no help
from "Samba for idiots".  I think the trick is to slowly build your own
smb.conf file as they instruct; then, if things do not work, they have a
very good troubleshooting chapter.  In Mandrake 9, I can see windows
shares from the command line of KDE or Gnome, as Warren spells out, by
typing smb://<winmachine>, but I cannot copy files that way. To copy
files I have to mount the windows share, then can copy them right inside
KDE.  Good luck.