[luau] Needs SAMBA HELP

Vince Hoang luau at ml.altern8.net
Tue Dec 3 11:13:00 PST 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 09:27:10AM -1000, al plant wrote:
> Dave Jensen wrote:
> > How do I configure SAMBA to to have access to my windows XP
> > attached shared printer and share files on all my machines in
> > my home network. I have tried to make manual changes to the
> > files listed below and I have tried to setup SWAT, no luck. I
> > have made changes to the following files: smb.conf created a
> > swat file in this dir- /etc/xinetd.d

Samba is normally used to give Windows access to shares on the
the un*x server. I do not know of a GUI that lets you have access
from a un*x to Windows shares, but smbclient is a CLI only
application that works in a pinch. Another thing you can try is
using smbmount, which lets you treat the Windows share sort of
like an NFS mounted filesystem. No real clues on accessing a
printer share, however.

> > I am running Linux 8.0 and I have updated everything using
> > Redhat Network update. I have access to the Internet with all
> > machines using my Linksys router and access point.

You mean RedHat 8.0. You are probably running a Linux 2.4 kernel.

> I am more of a FreeBSD oriented person and don't use samba myself.
> However, we have several guys that are familiar with it on the LUAU
> Linux list.

Samba has been pretty OS-independent for me. I have used versions
on various un*x systems, ranging from *BSD, IRIX, Linux, and
Solaris. (I myself, happen to be a Debian/FreeBSD nut. And, on my
TiBook, running OSX and fink, I get a hilights of both of those
operating systems.)

Apologies in advance if I came off too pedantic.

-Vince