[luau] Needs SAMBA HELP

al plant webmaster at hawaiidakine.com
Tue Dec 3 09:24:00 PST 2002

Dave Jensen wrote:

> Al Plant,
>
> I found your name on the MPLUG help pages.
>
> I have gone through several books and countless numbers of web pages
> trying to find the answer to my question...
>
> How do I configure SAMBA to to have access to my windows XP attached
> shared printer and share files on all my machines in my home network.
> I have tried to make manual changes to the files listed below and I have
> tried to setup SWAT, no luck.
> I have made changes to the following files:
> smb.conf
> created a swat file in this dir-   /etc/xinetd.d
>
> I think I have started all the necessary services and done this all as
> root.
> I know I am missing some key detail.
>
> I am running Linux 8.0 and I have updated everything using Redhat
> Network update.  I have access to the Internet with all machines using
> my Linksys router and access point.
>
> I was hoping you could walk me through this setup.
>
> P.S. This email was sent with my Linux machine.
>
> I hope you can help me Al.
>
> /R
> Dave
> Ewa Beach
#############

Hi Dave,

I am more of a FreeBSD oriented person and don't use samba myself.
However, we have several guys that are familiar with it on the LUAU
Linux list.

One is Gary Sublett and I think Ho'ala Greevy If you post to
  LUAU <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>

There are a couple of the Military Guys on the list who are out of state
who also know Samba and Monmatha can probably help too. His on the list
from his home in Indiana. Warren Togami also may be able to help you.

Aloha! Al Plant - Webmaster http://hawaiidakine.com
Providing FAST DSL Service for $28.00 /mo. Member Small Business Hawaii.
Running FreeBSD 4.5 UNIX & Caldera Linux 2.4 & RedHat 7.2
Support OPEN SOURCE in Business Computing. Phone 808-622-0043