[luau] OSEF status?

Dustin Cross dusty at sandust.com
Sun Dec 1 11:41:00 PST 2002

Yea,

The sparc 5, 10, and 20 are all slow old 32 bit machines, but they make
great network devices and solid low bandwidth servers.  As an OpenBSD
router, firewall, mail or webserver they are great.  There isn't much up-to-
date Linux for Sun hardware, except Suse 7.3.  Gentoo would probally run
really nice on there, but would take a year to compile!  They work with X,
but you have to get over the 8 bit color.  If 8 bit color doesn't bother
you they would make great thin clients using The SPARC-Linux Xterminal
Package (http://www.pucebaboon.com/SLXT/).  Since we don't have keyboards
for these they will be better as network devices or servers.  The Sun 4m
hardware is great.

Dusty