[luau] RH 7.3 on Presario

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Tue Aug 27 17:05:01 PDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Alvin Murphy" <amurphy at hawaii.rr.com>
To: <luau at videl.ics.hawaii.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, August 21, 2002 12:15 AM
Subject: [luau] RH 7.3 on Presario

> Thanks Dan and Warren and others for the help. I did find the mirror,
> downloaded the images and the sums checked out, now burning. But based
> on myexperience yesterday of trying an old copy of 7.2 I am kind of
> worried. Not very intuitive, especially if you are used to Mdk. If I did
> not read Warren's review, I would have no clue that the S3 Savage Pro+

I did much testing to find why Red Hat didn't associate the KN133 chipset
with the Savage driver, while Mandrake did.  At first I was screaming loudly
for Red Hat to set this driver, but after further testing this proved to be
unsafe.  It worked fine for the Compaq Presario 700 series, but not a HP
laptop with the same KN133 chipset.

For now you can set the driver manually, and be sure to choose "Generic
Latop Display 1024x768" for the monitor.

> was the way to go. Also, I chose Grub (RH seemed to want it that way);
> when it rebooted, no sign of WinXP!! I could only boot into RH.  I

Red Hat is rather bad when it comes to Windows awareness, so their installer
in 7.3 didn't auto-detect and add a menu option for NTFS partitions.  I
complained about this and it was added to the latest Red Hat beta which will
likely become Red Hat 8.0 in a few months.

For now you will need to manually add an entry to your /boot/grub/grub.conf
file in order to make Windows bootable.  Here's my /etc/grub/grub.conf.
Your grub.conf will be slightly different, but same idea.

default=0
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,2)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-11)
root (hd0,2)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-11 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.18-11.img
title Windows XP
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

> suppose I missed some option. Anyway, I went in, tried sndconfig, did
> not work, tried some other config and it froze like concrete. So I
> reinstalled Mdk 8.2, was glad to see the LILO screen and WinXP (which it
> calls NT, I guess because of the filesystem). I will try the 7.3,
> perhaps tonight, but probably select LILO. If anyone out there knows
> what I did wrong (to not have Win on boot screen), please let me know.
> Also, I gather from Warren, even if I get it all on and working, I will
> have to fetch upgrades (whcih?) to get sound working. Again thanks.

I *think* the kernel update (2.4.18-6) makes the sound device on that laptop
work properly, but don't you apply all updates anyway?  Use the Red Hat
Network tool, and it is all point and click like Windows Update.