[luau] Presario 711 and Mandrake 8.2

Alvin Murphy amurphy at hawaii.rr.com
Sun Aug 25 16:51:01 PDT 2002

Sorry if this is repetitious; I have been trying to reach you guys for
some time but having trouble with my email. I am trying to install
Mandrake on my wife's Presario laptop 711; so far I have it going, using
some tips from Google. This is a double boot with WinXP (ugh). The big
problem seems to be getting sound. I have found a patch on the internet,
which I copied to my desktop, but cannot get it from there to an ext2
disk, which I believe I have to do, then I have to reboot, hit F1 with
the disk in the drive, type in patch, and it will patch the sound, at
least I think that is what to do. I guess another option is to copy the
patch somewhere in the /src/linux area and then recompile the kernel
which I have never done. Can anyone help me with this, perhaps at an
install fest.

Another question, I have a lot of mounts in my little 4 machine lan at
home; if I forget to unmount them all, when I logout or reboot, it
freezes because of this, even if I have checked on Komba2 the box that
says disconnect on exit. Any ideas? Thanks