[luau] PowerPoint Alternative

Gary Sublett gsublett at entreky.net
Wed Aug 21 10:14:00 PDT 2002

On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 07:40:24 -1000
"W. Wayne Liauh" <LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com> wrote:

> Perhaps a better question that should have been posted is, Does anyone
>
> know how to make "presentation quality" HTML files, i.e., to prepare a
>
> HTML file that can be used in presentations?
>
> PowerPoint has a lot of limitations.  (You can see that, b/c Microsoft
>
> has no competition, it really slacks further development effort.  This
>
> is the weakness of a monopolistic monster.)  However, this is not my
> point.
>
> Ideally, I would like to use my Linux notebook during my talk.
> However, it may not work (and in all my cases, has not worked) with
> the projector provided by the host.  (b/f I go further, does anyone
> know how to solve this problem?)
>
> Unless I am willing to do a dual-boot, in which case I can use
> WordPerfect's Presentation which actually does a better job than
> PowerPoint, I must give the file which contains my talk to the host,
> and let them run the show for me.  An HTML file is probably the only
> option, if I don't (and I won't) yield to their request of giving them
> a PowerPoint file.
>
> Don't know whether my above thoughts made any sense.  But basically, I
>
> want to create an HTML file, with which I can control/confine each
> "slide" within a screen, use the page-down key to move from one
> slide/screen to the next, and quickly jump from one slide/screen to
> another.  Is this possible?

Wayne,

This is starting to get a little frustrating, sorry but it is starting
to look like you are looking for problems instead of solutions.
OpenOffice presentation builder will probably do everything you want,
handle powerpoint files in and out, generate its own format slide
presentation, and if you want a html slide show, it will do that also.

--

Gary

  4:17pm  up 5 days, 20:27,  3 users,  load average: 0.00, 0.07, 0.07
---