[luau] Limbo 2 Gone from Mirrors

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Mon Aug 19 11:18:00 PDT 2002

W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> Thanks Warren.  The Limbo kernel was heavily patched by RedHat, there is
> no Win4Lin patch yet that will match it.  I did try to use the "closest"
> patch file, but got a Hunk error.  Effort aborted.
>
> Limbo 2 provides such a nice desktop, I am already spoiled and really
> hate to go back to Red Hat 7.3.  Red Hat patched the 2.4.18 kernel to
> back port USB 2.0 support from 2.4.19; and I don't want to lose that,
> either.

There's not need to use RedHat's kernel series.  Last I checked, the
userspace ran just fine on vanilla kernels (and many people do this for
troubleshooting purposes when RedHat's stuff breaks things, as it did
some netfilter things a while back).  The patch should apply cleanly to
the vanilla series obviously.

2.4.19 seems stable enough to me (been running 2.4.19-rc1 for a while
now) to use on non-critical systems.  Of course I have neither to desire
nor the tools to test it in a "production environment".

> BTW, I did see a patch file for the 2.4.19 kernel which NeTraverse put
> out a couple of days ago.  Perhaps this will work on Limbo 3.

I'm guessing that RedHat's latest series is more inline with 2.4.19 than
2.4.18, as they keep backporting everything (so why not just bump
version numbers?).

--MonMotha