[luau] Software RAID (Donation of Oracle 9i Linux)

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Thu Aug 15 16:41:01 PDT 2002

> You cant add RAID to the hdd you have the OS installed. I have 1,5. Good

You actually can add raid to the hard drive where you have the OS installed
in most modern distros.  Its a bit tricky in the old ones.  The old ones
require that you install to a different hard drive, then set up a software
raid table, then move the system to the raid array, then edit the fstab,
then reboot.  This is a lot of work.  In systems after about RH 7.1, the
graphical install allows you to put / on a software raid array.  Usually
what you'll want to do, however, is make one partition on the first drive be
the /boot partition (non-raid) just to make kernel configuration easier.
Then put / on the raid array.  You can get some of the performance bonuses
from raid 0/5 by putting /usr, /home, /bin, /opt and whatever on separate
drives if you have a big enough system.

-Eric Hattemer