[luau] Donation of Oracle 9i Linux Server to Mililani HS

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Aug 15 12:05:00 PDT 2002

Warren Togami wrote:

> Integrated Promise or HPT ATARAID controllers are poorly supported and
> unsafe to use in Linux.  The AZ11 motherboard would be fine.

This is because they use a proprietary software RAID.  However, if you
run the card in single drive mode (as I do), they are quite stable.
Then, if you want software RAID, Linux has excellent software RAID
(levels 0, 1, 0+1, 4, and 5).

With a modern machine, software RAID can actually be FASTER than a cheap
hardware RAID controller (albeit with a very slight penalty in extra
used CPU time).  This is because most RAID controllers only can do the
checksums calculations at a certain speed limited by their onboard
processor.  CPUs in today's systems are extremely fast, much faster than
your average RAID controller.  The difference in speed is almost nil
between hardware and software RAID when using levels 0 or 1, where no
checksumming is involved.

--MonMotha