[luau] Linux games

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Thu Aug 15 11:59:00 PDT 2002

Jeff Mings wrote:
> Yes, I purchased 3 licenses of UT just for use on Linux boxen  - if it
> didn't run natively, I wouldn't like it so much.
>
> MonMotha, I must respectfully remind you that the subscription I paid
> for is one of the few things that encourages developers who need
> financial incentives to work on Linux software.  Also, there are several
> things that require WineX, and won't run on Wine alone.
>
> -Jeff

I have nothing against paying for Linux software.  In fact, I own
serveral Loki published games (Quake 3, SimCity 3000 Unlimited, Kohan).
  WineX however has in my mind "pulled a microsoft" with their product.
  They took a X11 (similar to BSD liscense) liscensed product and made
it into a commerical app that they charge money for (at least for the
binaries that actually allow you to play copy protected games, which is
all of them).  This caused quite an uproar, and was enough to create a
fork of the WINE tree that is LGPL liscensed.  Basically, I believe that
they're getting a "free ride" if you will from the OSS community by
having much of their initial work done for them, then selling a product
based on it.

--MonMotha