FW: [luau] Oracle Pro C on Linux & gcc

Ray Strode halfline at hawaii.rr.com
Tue Aug 13 17:45:01 PDT 2002

I think I missed part of this thread, but i'll see if I can help.

>>>install came with gcc 2.96
>>>So I copied the gcc 2.95.3 files from another RH computer and put them
>>>under /usr/local/ on my computer. I also put the
>>>/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.3 path in PATH. However
>>>now I get an error
>>>ld: cannot open crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory
>>>
>>It is not necessary to put /usr/local/lib/* in the PATH.  The gcc in
>>/usr/local/bin will find the correct gcc-lib directory (if it was
>>installed correctly).
>>

>Why does the locate command not find any gcc files that I have
>installed?

It's possible your slocate database isn't up to date. run "updatedb".

>>>crtbeginS.o does exist in the
>>>/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.3 directory so why the
>>>hell does it not find it??
>>>
>>Probably because the gcc you are using is /usr/bin/gcc.  Which looks in
>>/usr/lib/gcc-lib for the support files.
>>

>[root at localhost bin]# which gcc
>/usr/local/bin/gcc

Try typing:

export GCC_EXEC_PREFIX=/usr/loca/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.3

before running gcc.

>No it was from /home/<username>/usr/local directory
>
>Would that make a difference?

It might.

>This gcc command is being called during compilation of a library. I
>don't think I can modify the source code for it?

You can probably change the makefile, but I dont' think you'll need to,
if GCC_EXEC_PREFIX
is set to the right directory.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with using gcc 2.96?

I remember the thread's subject, but I think i missed a few messages, so
i'm not up to date.

--Ray