FW: [luau] Oracle Pro C on Linux & gcc

Vikram Khurana vkhurana at mail.nmfs.hawaii.edu
Tue Aug 13 16:15:01 PDT 2002

Jimen Ching wrote:

>On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Vikram Khurana wrote:
>
>>install came with gcc 2.96
>>So I copied the gcc 2.95.3 files from another RH computer and put them
>>under /usr/local/ on my computer. I also put the
>>/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.3 path in PATH. However
>>now I get an error
>>ld: cannot open crtbeginS.o: No such file or directory
>>

>It is not necessary to put /usr/local/lib/* in the PATH.  The gcc in
>/usr/local/bin will find the correct gcc-lib directory (if it was
>installed correctly).

How do I know if gcc-lib was installed correctly or not?
Why does the locate command not find any gcc files that I have
installed?

>>crtbeginS.o does exist in the
>>/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.95.3 directory so why the
>>hell does it not find it??
>>

>Probably because the gcc you are using is /usr/bin/gcc.  Which looks in
>/usr/lib/gcc-lib for the support files.

[root at localhost bin]# which gcc
/usr/local/bin/gcc

>>I'm drowning in gcc hell. Can somebody please tell me what I need to
do
>>to get past this problem?
>>

>When you copied the gcc 2.95.3 from another RH system, was that from
the
>/usr/local prefix?  You can not copy gcc from /usr to /usr/local.  When
>gcc was built, it is given the prefix directory.  gcc will then use
this
>prefix directory to find things like libgcc*.a and crt*.o.  You can try
>use the -B option to tell gcc to look somewhere else.

No it was from /home/<username>/usr/local directory

Would that make a difference?
This gcc command is being called during compilation of a library. I
don't think I can modify the source code for it?

Thanks,
Vikram