[luau] Linksys and Red Hat (Not)

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Tue Aug 13 11:31:01 PDT 2002

Hi, Warren and Mon-

I apologize that I probably made it more complicated than it had to be.

The issue is not the tulip driver, but hardware detection of NIC cards
using tulip chipset.  As Mon mentioned, the tulip driver for the Linksys
NIC chipset, which was correctly identified by Mandrake as well as most
other distros, comes with the kernel itself.  I didn't have any problem
making the Linksys card work with Red Hat Limbo or 7.3.  All you need to
do is making sure that the modules.conf file has a correct statement
"alias eth0 tulip".  I just don't know how to do this graphically in Red
Hat.

The reason I particularly mentioned the Linksys cards is that, with
rebate, etc., you can often get them free at CompUSA.