[luau] Linksys and Red Hat (Not)

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon Aug 12 23:21:00 PDT 2002

Ray-

It can be very frustrating if and when you take Linux seriously (e.g.,
running a Linux-based
business, or even trying to make a living doing Linux).

I always believe that if people appreciate your work, they will be
willing to pay.  There is enough
money flying around but you must first identify your potential
customers.  And before that, you must have a system, or know exactly
where to find a system, that will make them happy.

I believe I mentioned this personal story of mine here before.  Michael
Dell, when he was a freshman at the University of Texas, used to come to
our office (Exxon, which has been either No. 1 or No. 2 company in the
US) trying to sell the PCs built by his company ("PC Limited", which has
only one employee--himself).

This guy was very persistent--he came to our office almost every week,
doing demo to everyone who cared to listen.  He knew that, if he could
make just one sale, the name "Exxon" carries a lot of prestige.  Yes it
did, and the rest became history.

Basically, to avoid frustrations, we need to realize that our resources
are very limited.  Marketing is important.  But ability to identify able
(to pay) and willing (to use) customers has a greater priority.