[luau] Linksys and Red Hat (Not)

Warren Togami warren at togami.com
Mon Aug 12 22:58:00 PDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 22:23, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> Thanks Warren.  All what I need to know is, which of the NIC cards
> supported by Red Hat also uses tulip chipset?  As I am sure you're aware,
> it's the chipset that matters.
>
> Actually, same NIC cards, even with the same model number, may use
> different chipsets, or different versions of the same chipset, I have
> purchased a whole bunch of Linksys cards of exactly the same batch, and
> have been using them for ages.  Corel 1.0 and Red Hat 7.3/Limbo are the
> only distros that I have had problems with those cards.
>
> Tulip, which was initially developed by NASA, is an open-source project.
> As such, it is incumbent upon the due diligence of each distro to make sure
> that it can properly detect the various modifications thereof.

I've bought over 20 Linksys LNE100TX v4.0 and v4.1 cards.  The last time
I had problems with these cards were with Red Hat 6.2 through 7.1.
Since RH 7.2 I've never had any problems.

I've also tried the CNET Pro120 and Pro200 cards which are tulip
controlled.  CNET's in my experience have been terrible quality cards
that would often go bad after a few weeks or months of use.  Some you
wouldn't realize were bad because they were still "working", but at 10%
speed and spewing hundreds of bad MAC addresses randomly.

I tested a few laptops with integrated tulip too, like a Dell Inspiron
8000 IIRC.

If you have a tulip card that doesn't work in Red Hat 7.3, I would
really like to test it if possible.

Warren