[luau] Linksys and Red Hat (Not)

W. Wayne Liauh LiauhW001 at Hawaii.rr.com
Mon Aug 12 22:21:00 PDT 2002

<Is this a brand new retail card?  If so, may I borrow the card or I will
buy one in order to test it myself and be sure it works in Limbo beta.
Please let me know where you bought it, and the revision version #.

After I figure out this card, I'll build you custom RPM's with kernel
drivers that should work in Red Hat 7.3.>

Thanks Warren.  All what I need to know is, which of the NIC cards
supported by Red Hat also uses tulip chipset?  As I am sure you're aware,
it's the chipset that matters.

Actually, same NIC cards, even with the same model number, may use
different chipsets, or different versions of the same chipset, I have
purchased a whole bunch of Linksys cards of exactly the same batch, and
have been using them for ages.  Corel 1.0 and Red Hat 7.3/Limbo are the
only distros that I have had problems with those cards.

Tulip, which was initially developed by NASA, is an open-source project.
As such, it is incumbent upon the due diligence of each distro to make sure
that it can properly detect the various modifications thereof.